Thursday 17 August 2006

Astounded!



This is really a testimony to our Saviour's grace. I have seen more answered prayers this week than I have done in the last month! The thing I've realised though, is that does not signify God has changed in any way, because He does not ever change (Malachi 3:6). It's not that God has got more faithful in the last week, or suddenly decided to answer my prayers. I know all too well that the reason is in fact that I am praying more. It's amazing how God responds to commitment, and even sacrifice on our part, and overwhelmingly.

This morning I was reading in 1 Kings about Soloman's dedication of the Temple, and He prayed an incredible prayer (see 1 Kings 8:22-61) and one of the things that really struck me about His prayer is that He asked God for something, and then asked God to hear his prayer, for example:

'when they sin against you - for there is no-one who does not sin - and you become angry with them and give them over to the enemy, who takes them captive to his own land, far away or near; and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive and repent and plead with you in the land of their conquerors and say 'we have sinned, we have done wrong, we have acted wickedly' and if they turn back to you with all their heart and soul in the land of their enemies who took them captive, and pray to you towards the land you gave their fathers, towards the city you have chosen and the temple I have built for your Name; then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause' 1 Kings 8:46-49


Soloman here describes a very specific situation (one of many if you look at the whole passage) and then goes into great detail about the 'ifs' of the situation, and then goes on to ask God to hear their prayer. The Bible describes a passionate Father who loves to satisfy His children, who longs to answer our prayers. Piper uses the illustration of prayer as God's favourite food, and the satisfaction of his hunger is in answering our prayers.

'He has no deficiency in himself that he needs to fill up, so he gets his satisfaction by magnifying the glory of his riches by filling up the deficiencies of people who pray... so if we want to feed him with the only kind of joy he is capable of, we hold up the empty cup of prayer and let him show the riches of his glory by filling it. Thus the intensity of God's delight in his glory is the measure of his pleasure in the prayers of his people' John Piper, The Pleasures of God


I like to think of prayer with the example of two close friends. It's easy to see sometimes if a friend is struggling, but one of the most frustrating things is when you have no permission to help them, because they themselves haven't shared the problem with you. I think it's sometimes a lot like that with Jesus. He knows my weakness, He knows my struggles, and He knows my needs. Of course, He often provides for me without me asking, by His grace. Though, I often wonder how much more He could have done if I had asked for His help. Our God is a jealous god, in that He desires to have us with hearts undivided. He doesn't want my half-hearted part time affection. He wants my heart, wounds, fears, hopes and dreams. As we choose to seek His face, and to share our lives with Him, to spend time in His presence, to speak with Him of our struggles and our failings, He will be faithful. He will hear our fumbling prayers, and He will answer.

'If my people who are called by my name humble themselves and pray... I will hear from heaven' 2 Chronicles 7:14



It may not be that we expect or like the answer He gives. Our God is Sovereign, His ways are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Yet, He is good. He is faithful to us, faithful to His promises. Even in our faithlessness, He will be faithful.

No comments: