Wednesday 27 April 2011

Lost For The First Time

Today, I had my introduction to Lost. Three episodes in and I'm hooked! If not for the gripping nature of the plot, the stunning scenery and the humour, it's for the characterisation. Just amazing. I mean, I've not exactly got very far yet, but already I'm engaged with several of the key characters. Kate, the fugitive, her guarded eyes and troubled posture. Jack, well, just amazing. What strength he has shown already, stepping up immediately as the island protector, but yet, he is one of the characters we know least about. Saiid, brusque but kind hearted. The Korean couple struggling to comprehend one another. I could go on... I'm fascinated to see how it all develops (if you've seen it, don't tell me...) and most of all to watch the character development. It's clever the way music is used as well, there is very little apart to add to the tension, except when Hurley pops on his headphones. Suddenly distance is created, and you're allowed to reflect for the first time on what has taken place, and you begin to see the mending and building of relationships across the rubble.

I'm sure I could be pretty wrong on most of this, but that's the joy of watching a story play out. You just never quite know... I like that.

I also enjoyed Jack's little anecdote about his medical career, and the fear. Telling of an operation which went wrong, with potentially fatal consequences, Jack describes 'the fear' and says that he gave it five seconds to enter, do its thing, but five seconds only. Later, you see Kate remember and utilise this in the jungle. Watching them both, I was encouraged. We all get scared, but the fact is, fear is never in control. I suppose there is always that moment of choice. Will I let it get the better of me, or not. If Jack had let it consume him, he would never have got to the point of being the doctor able to save so many in the crisis on the island. But I'll bet you anything that in that operating theatre, he never dreamt how that moment of courage would change the course of his, and many people's lives. Probably before that moment, and in it. I'll be interested to see some more of the philosophical depth of the series too, as I can tell there will be more.

Now, song of today:
http://www.we7.com/#/song/Hezekiah-Walker--LFC/Hold-Out

No comments: